As of build 10.1.1227, a new feature is available in the 2X Remote Application Server console as well as under the 2X Client (build 10.1.1230), where an Administrator can set the default printer used in the remote session.
Let’s have a deeper look at this functionality and see how it works.
In a typical environment, one can have the following printers made available through the following different technologies:
- A local printer directly connected to the server
- A network printer which has been added on the server manually
- Redirected Printers via the 2X Universal Printer
- Redirected Printers via Standard RDP (from Windows Server 2003 installations) and/or Redirected Printers via Easy Print (From Windows Server 2008 server installations onwards).
- Redirected Printers via 3rd Party Solutions
All these different technologies might all set a different default printer.
In such an environment, the Default Printer functionality will be used to basically assign and enforce a default printer when a session is established, even though other printers have been made available by other technologies.
2X Client Configuration
First if you plan to use the 2X Universal Printing technology open the 2X Client, click Options button, click 2X Universal Printing tab and specify the printers you want to use in the remote session by choosing specify only and select the printer(s) name, default only or all.
Then, click on the options button 1. Once done, the user can change to the “Default Printer” tab2, and make the changes as follows:
Options that can be set from the 2X Client
From the Default Printer tab, the tick box “Set the following printer as default” should be ticked. Once done, the user has the option to either type in the printer name manually or alternatively to select a printer from the dropdown menu.
Doing so, this will allow the user to have a default printer enforced by the 2X client when a new session is established.
When configuring this new feature, it is good to keep a few things in mind:
1. For this functionality to work as expected, both the 2X Remote Application Server need to be at least running on v10.1.1227, and the 2X Client on v10.1.1230.
2. If only a partial name is provided in the default printer text box, the first printer on the server that partially matches the printer name will be set as default. If the wrong printer is being selected, one can simply type in the full printer name and tick the “Match exact printer name” tick box.1
3. If there are multiple printers with the same name being made available during a session, the printer being redirected by the 2X Universal Printing technology will take priority and will be used as a default printer.
4. One can type in “<defaultlocalprinter>” in the text box to use the local default printer name.
5. A Timeout of XX seconds can be set so that when a session is established, if a different default printer has been set, the printer configured, will be forced automatically XX seconds after the connection has been established. 2
Extra options discussed in point #5.
Client Policies Configuration
This same configuration can be done directly on the 2X Remote Application Server console as a policy. These changes will be then pushed to your client machines.
This can be achieved by doing the following:
1. Open the 2X Remote Application Server Console and click on “Client” on the side-bar on the left.
2. From here you can add a new policy if it has not yet been configured.1
Alternatively, if such a policy has already been configured, one can simply select said policy, and click on the “Properties” button to edit the policy.2
2X ASXG Client Management view
The next step would be to actively set the new Default Printer functionality. When adding, or modifying an existing policy, select the “Options” tick box, and set the following changes (in this scenario we will select a specific local printer attached to my client machine and set it as default):
- Under the 2X Universal Printing Tab, in the “Printer Devices” section, select “Specific Only” from the “Redirect Printers” dropdown menu. From here, select all the printers you would like to have redirected via the 2X Universal Printing functionality.
Options view showing the different tabs that can be configured
- Once done, change to the “Default Printer” tab. This is where we will then select the actual default printer to be forwarded by the 2X Client.
Default Printer Tab from the 2X Client Policy Options
- Once the “Set the following printer as default” tick box button has been selected, one has the option to either select the printer from the dropdown menu, or else to type it in manually in the same textbox.
All the same considerations discussed for the 2X client apply also when the changes are configured directly from the 2X ASXG console.
Following these steps, one should be able to set this functionality and be able to use this new functionality correctly.
1. 2X Remote Application Server Client Policies Manual: http://www.2x.com/docs/en/manuals/pdf/2XApplicationServer.pdf
2. 2X Client Manual: http://www.2x.com/docs/en/manuals/pdf/2XClientForWindows.pdf