Parallels® Remote Application Server was exhibited at the Microsoft Ignite conference May 4-8, 2015 to demo how companies across industries can use Raspberry Pi as a complete workstation.
Parallels®, a global leader in cross-platform solutions (parallels.com/about), announced today the release of the first RDP client for Raspberry Pi, giving organizations the ability to transform the low-cost device into a complete workstation. For the first time since Raspberry Pi’s launch in 2012, users can use any application remotely and use full remote desktops published by Parallels® Remote Application Server (RAS). Parallels will exhibit at the Microsoft Ignite conference in Chicago, IL May 4-8 and demo Parallels RAS working with Raspberry Pi as a low-cost way for IT managers to increase employee efficiency with cross-platform application delivery. (Note: Parallels was acquired by Parallels in February.)
Parallels RAS (parallels.com/ras) enables the delivery of applications to any device, including Chromebook™ notebook computers, Windows® PCs, Mac® computers, Linux workstations, Android™ and iOS devices, the Windows Phone®, HTML5 browsers, and now, Raspberry Pi. Over the last few years, Raspberry Pi has become a leading cost-effective computing device. Now, Parallels RAS offers support for Raspberry Pi, empowering businesses across various industries, from manufacturing to healthcare to education, to take advantage of low-cost clients, virtual desktops, and applications.
“The Parallels team adapted its well-known client for Linux to maximize performance and user experience for Raspberry Pi,” said Parallels marketing director Giorgio Bonuccelli. “With more than five million units shipped since its 2012 launch, Raspberry Pi is the new kid on the IT block, but the use of this small and revolutionary device has been limited to Linux and web applications so far. Parallels RAS offers the unique opportunity to deliver corporate Windows applications and remote desktops on this low-cost, credit-card-sized computer. The Parallels RAS Client transforms Raspberry Pi into a fully operational workstation, allowing any organization to integrate it into its environment.”
Features of Parallels RAS include the following:
- Easy to use and implement and can be up and running in minutes
- Auto-configured features like printing redirection are standard. (Printing redirection enables users to print directly from any device without the administrator having to install drivers on the server.)
- Server load balancing distributes workload to servers based on available resources, improving performance and reliability.
- Windows client management allows IT administrators to take control of Windows devices, set passwords, and shadow PCs to provide remote assistance.
- Reporting allows an administrator to generate reports that monitor RDP and server activity, such as license usage, server activity, and more.
- Gateway load balancing guarantees constant access to virtual resources by distributing connections between two or more gateways. This feature (high-availability load balancing) takes workload and gateway availability into consideration, adding a layer of redundancy which ensures that the end user never experiences any hiccups while using the system.
About Parallels RAS
Parallels RAS is a leading solution for delivering applications and virtual desktops to any device and OS. It was recently honored at the 2015 Govies Government Security Awards as the Best Hosted Solution. In recent months, Parallels RAS also won a TMC InfoTech Spotlight Data Center Excellence Award, The Best of TechEd North America 2014 Award, and was selected in CRN’s Virtualization 50 for 2014. Visit parallels.com/ras for more information and to download a free trial.