Parallels RAS Integrates with Microsoft App-V
Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V) is a component of Windows Server operating systems that provides separation and isolation capabilities for applications running on the operating system.
Parallels RAS and Microsoft App-V
Parallels® Remote Application Server (RAS) integrates with Microsoft App-V, allowing administrators to publish packaged applications. The separation and isolation capabilities of Microsoft App-V reduce the need to remediate application conflicts on the OS level. Microsoft App-V applications are standalone executables, meaning there is no need for local installation on the hosts. In addition, application updates can be delivered from a central location directly to the servers. No separate RDS CALs licenses are required to publish App-V applications from an RDSH. Подробнее.
- App-V containerizes applications, isolating them from other applications and the operating system itself.
- App-V enables the packaging and running of applications that usually don’t coexist well together.
- Allows administrators to package applications with customizations so that end-users don’t see first-run dialogs, useless icons, or prompts for information that would usually generate help desk calls.
- Administrators can take an application, its settings and dependencies and show them to end-users as a network service, using local resources.
- Virtual applications are sandboxed, offering increased security and application resiliency. App-V packages are unable to interact with one another except through connection groups controlled by administrators.
- Virtual applications are delivered on-demand and only take as much disk space as required for the features that people use.
- By isolating applications, administrators reduce conflicts and time spent regression testing, however, the applications can interact and communicate with each other when required.
When an application is packaged, or “sequenced” in App-V, an analysis of the application’s startup requirements is performed automatically. App-V leverages that information to allow only the parts of the software required for the application to launch to be streamed to clients - allowing for a much faster launch.
Run Any Application,
Including Legacy Applications
Some applications might not have been designed to run in a multi-user environment on an RDSH. By integrating with Microsoft App-V (or other application virtualization technologies), Parallels RAS allows you to overcome such limitations while leveraging containerization. Application containerization also allows IT to run different versions of the same application on the same server.
Streamline Server Footprint
There are specific applications that won’t allow you to run more than one instance or even different versions on the same OS. Due to the application virtualization isolation capabilities, now multiple and different versions of the same application can run successfully on the same host without any conflicts. This minimizes the servers’ footprint and reduces hardware requirements.