Why do you need to uninstall apps?
Apps are an essential part of computer life. Most often than not, we bump into an app ad on the internet, maybe we need to solve a problem on the internet, or we want to go with the latest trends. Before it dawns on you, you have downloaded and installed a new app on your Mac.
Your storage space gets smaller and smaller with every new app that you download on your Mac. At times you lose track of all the apps you have installed on your computer. In worst-case scenarios, you start receiving warning messages from older apps.
The obvious solution to the above is to uninstall unwanted apps. In light of this, we have put together a guide that will help you to uninstall those apps that you no longer use and need.
How to uninstall apps
You can uninstall or delete apps on your macOS either using Finder, Launchpad or using Parallels Toolbox.
- Use Finder to locate the app you want to uninstall. Your Applications folder stores most apps.
- The Applications folder is found in the sidebar of the Finder window. Click on it. Spotlight can also help you locate the app. While you are double-clicking the app on Spotlight, long-press the Command key.
- Click on the app, select File > Move to Trash.
- Once prompted to enter the username and password, key in the login details of an administrator account on your Mac.
- Go to Finder > Empty Trash to delete the application.
Use Launchpad to uninstall an application
The same way you would uninstall an app on your iPhone or iPad is the same approach you will use to delete an app on Launchpad.
- You can press the F4 key or from the Menu Bar, click on the Launchpad icon to open Launchpad.
- Long-press on one application until you notice other apps start shaking. This should take a few seconds.
- Navigate to the app you wish to delete. In the upper-left corner, click on "x".
- Keep in mind that not all apps can be uninstalled using this approach.
Using the "Uninstall Apps" option in Parallels Toolbox for Mac has been tested and proven to be the easiest and surest way to uninstall an application. It first carries out a scan of the computer hard drive to show all applications and the files they are stored in.
There are a few instances where uninstalling an app using the other approaches may not work because the app's preferences are still on your computer. "Uninstall Apps" in Parallels will identify and help you remove leftover files linked to uninstalled applications.
Follow these simple steps to uninstall an app from your Mac using Parallels Toolbox:
- After launching Parallels Toolbox, open "Uninstall Apps."
- Navigate to the app you want to be uninstalled. You can either scroll down or use the search bar.
- Select "Uninstall." The app will be completely removed.
Download a free trial for Parallels Toolbox for Mac now and experience how stress-free it is to delete apps from your Mac.
Whichever option you choose, most apps will be tossed to Trash after uninstalling them. There are two ways to remove them completely. First, you can right-click on Trash >Empty Trash. Alternatively, the app will be automatically removed after 60 days.
Remember, built-in apps cannot be uninstalled with any of the above methods. For example, you can try to delete "Calendar" and notice that Apple will not let you.