2X MDM provides administrators with the ability to trace connected mobile devices and further fine tune tracking parameters per group or even individual devices depending on the scenario.
We shall now walk through a 'how to' guide aimed at fine tuning 2X MDM for use within a high availability type business model which shall be provided with the information it requires, when it's needed!
Let us assume that a taxi company, '2XCabs' is using 2X MDM to track its drivers of which each have a mobile device with a SIM and valid data plan. Let us also assume that battery life is not an issue as each connected device shall be provided with a constant charge using a USB car charger.
Due to the nature of this scenario, constant and accurate location updates are necessary in order for the telecoms agents receiving bookings to review a driver's location on the map and further assign the closest driver to a caller's location.
Adjust Group Policy Tracking Settings
Connected devices should be added to a group policy, which for the sake of this example we shall name 'Roaming Drivers'. Location update intervals and distance travelled should be set to low values, therefore more accurately displaying device locations on the map.
To implement this scenario for both Android and iOS based devices within this group, follow these steps:
- Log in to the 2X MDM Portal.
- Navigate to the 'Group Policies' node and select 'Roaming Drivers'.
- Click on the 'Android Policy' tab to apply updates to Android based devices or 'iOS Policy' tab to apply updates to iOS based devices.
- Scroll down to the 'Location Provider Settings' section.
- Set the 'Location update interval' text field to a value of 1.
- Set the 'Minimum location update distance' text field to a value of 15.
- For Android based devices, set the 'Send location updates' drop down to 'Force GPS & Network'.
- Scroll down and click 'Save'.
Apart from that, ensure that iOS based devices have enabled location services and note that GPS provides more accurate location updates.
Use Map to Locate and Assign Devices
Now that we have fine-tuned the 'Roaming Drivers' group policy and new settings pushed out and applied to 'Roaming Driver' group listed devices, the Map shall begin to populate with these devices in their most recently recorded locations.
Device locations are represented on the map which may be reviewed from the 'Devices' node. If you would like to review all connected devices locations simultaneously, do not select any devices. In addition, selecting one or more devices shall reflect the information displayed on the map accordingly.
We now need to locate the device closest to a caller's location and send the callers whereabouts as a location message to the driver's device following the next steps:
- Click ‘Devices’ node.
- From the map, locate the closest device to the desired location.
- Click on the device and take note of the device name.
- Select the device from the Device listing located above the map.
- Click 'Messaging'.
- Click 'Send Location'.
- Locate and click on the callers location on the map.
- Click 'Send location to selected item(s).'
Once completed, the 'Push' notification dialogue window shall appear to confirm whether the message was sent or not. The device user shall receive the location notification which illustrates both the driver's location and destination.
Supervise Route Travelled
Furthermore, checks may be performed per selected device to review the routes taken by the drivers.
Location updates may be selected and routes reviewed using the 'Location History' tab following the next steps:
- Click 'Devices' node
- Locate and select a device
- Click the 'Location History' tab
- Select one or more location entries
Selecting multiple entries in chronological order shall plot the track line of the route taken by the device in the map to the right of the location entry listings.
Finally, you may also review location history results with various other filters such as:
- Date Time – define a time or time range for specific locations within that date/ time range.
- Latitude, Longitude - define the coordinates to look for specific locations entries within the area of the co-ordinates defined.
With the help of 2X MDM, gone are the days of dedicating resources to manage roaming company representatives within high availability environments!