Parallels Desktop for Mac Support
Parallels Desktop for Mac allows you to seamlessly run both Windows and Mac OS X Lion applications side-by-side with speed, control and confidence. Click below for frequently asked questions, documentation and other helpful tools to get the answers you need.
Search Knowledgebase for Parallels Desktop for Mac
Windows 8 Preview Expiration – January 15, 2013!
If you are running a Windows 8 Edition and your license has expired:
Please read this entire notice, prior to contacting Parallels Customer Support: http://kb.parallels.com/en/115404
If you are having trouble upgrading or installing Microsoft Windows (any version) please read the following for instructions and troubleshooting steps: http://kb.parallels.com/4729
Frequently Asked Questions
Pre-Sales Questions - I want to buy Parallels and need to know...
- Does Windows come pre-installed with Parallels Desktop for Mac? Windows is not included with your purchase of Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac. Windows can be purchased directly from Microsoft or many retail stores.
- Will Parallels run on my current Mac hardware? A full list of system and hardware requirements can be found here.
- Can I use my license on multiple Macs? Parallels licenses are valid only on 1 Mac per license. For more information, please reference http://www.parallels.com/about/eula/
- Do you have discounts for Students/Education Staff/offer academic licenses? For information on how to purchase Educations licenses, please visit http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/editions/
- Can I migrate my current Windows PC to a Parallels Desktop for Mac Virtual Machine? Yes, for instructions on how to migrate your Windows PC, visit http://kb.parallels.com/115007
- Is there a trial version of Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac I can evaluate before purchasing? Yes, Parallels offers a free 14 day trial at http://www.parallels.com/trialdownload/pd
- I currently use VMware Fusion and am interested in switching to Parallels. Information about switching to Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac can be found here.
I have purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac and I need to...
- How do I install the software? Easy steps for installation are located at KB114623
- How do I activate my copy of Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac? Activation instructions are available at KB114585
- How do I register for my Support Code in case I need Technical Assistance. To register for Support, please visit KB6571
- Does Windows come with my purchase of Parallels? Windows is sold separately from your Parallels Software. For more information see KB115286
- View video demos and instructions on how to run Parallels Desktop for Mac at KB114733
I have installed Parallels Desktop, but how do I install my Windows (or other) Virtual Machines?
- Easy guided steps for installing Windows in Parallels Desktop for Mac can be found at KB4729
- I cannot install Windows in my Virtual Machine. Help can be found at KB112940
- How do I launch Windows from Parallels Desktop for Mac ? See KB115170
- What is Coherence Mode? I cannot find my Windows Desktop/applications or see my open files. See KB4670
- How do I secure my Windows from the viruses? Please visit KB112115
A guide to Windows 8 - Install, Activation and Upgrade
- How do I install Windows 8? Easy steps are available at KB4729
- Check what Windows OS can be upgraded to Windows 8 at KB114988
- How do I upgrade/activate Windows 8? Follow these simple steps at KB114985
- My Windows 8 does not start? See KB114987 for tips and solutions
- Top Windows 8 questions and solutions are available at KB114993
- Windows 8 Preview Expiration - January 15, 2013. Customer are prompted that the preview version of Windows 8 has expired. Please see KB115404 for more information.
I have installed Windows but my Virtual Machine does not launch/crashes
- When starting Windows I get a black or blue screen? For solutions, see KB113964
- Windows is stuck at the “Welcome” screen or Windows displays unexpected error messages. For solutions, see KB5223
- Windows and/or my Windows applications are slow. For solutions, see KB112091
My printer / keyboard / mouse do not work?
- My printer does not work on the Windows side? For troubleshooting tips, see KB111997
- How do I setup the Network printer in my Virtual Machine? Setup instructions are available at KB4886
- My keyboard does not work/behave as expected? For troubleshooting tips, see KB113932
- My mouse does not work/behave as expected. For troubleshooting tips, see KB112076
I cannot connect to the Internet/network from my Virtual Machine?
I am receiving an error message in my Windows VM that says I am not connected to the Internet. For troubleshooting steps, see KB8978
Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac top recommended solutions
Please visit our KB article containing all top recommended solutions: http://kb.parallels.com/pdtop10
How to install Windows virtual machine on Mac using Parallels Desktop?
To learn about installing Windows OS, please refer to this article for complete details: http://kb.parallels.com/4729
Transfer an existing virtual machine to your new Mac
To learn about migrating your Virtual Machines from one Mac to another please refer to this article: http://kb.parallels.com/114118
How to migrate Windows 8 PC to Parallels Desktop 8 Virtual Machine?
To learn about how to migrate your existing Windows 8 install to a VM please visit http://kb.parallels.com/115007
I am unable to install Virtual Machine: troubleshooting installation issues
Check solutions to the most frequent Virtual Machine installation issues: http://kb.parallels.com/112940
How to upgrade my Windows 8 Consumer or Developer Preview to Windows 8 Release Preview?
Please refer to the following article to learn about Windows 8 Previews upgrade options http://kb.parallels.com/114986
Recommended Product Knowledge Base Articles
- Cannot download Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac
- Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac does not start after upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion: You can't use this version of the application "Parallels Desktop.app"
- What bonus software comes with Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac?
- Resolution support for Retina displays in Parallels Desktop 8
- Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac Tech Guarantee
- Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac End-of-Life
- Parallels Desktop for Mac and OS X Mountain Lion top recommended solutions
- Virtual Machine resolution on second display is low or not scaled after upgrade to Parallels Desktop 8
- Display issues in Coherence after upgrade to Parallels Desktop 8
- Unable to drag application window to second display when running in Full Screen mode
- Parallels Desktop 8 installation freezes or fails
- Open in Internet Explorer icon is missing in Safari
- Unable to use Parallels Mobile for the first time after logging in to Parallels account on Mac OS 10.8
- Same numbers on Disk Compression message before and after compression
- How to uninstall Parallels Desktop 8
- What is the Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac Return Policy?
- How to receive Parallels Desktop Support?
- Mac OS X Mountain Lion & Parallels Desktop 5/6 for Mac compatibility
- Is Windows 8 supported on Parallels Desktop for Mac?
- How do I activate Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac?
- All articles
Choose the type of documentation you desire from the left-hand column and then click on the format you need in the right-hand column to download a document.
|Readme for Parallels Desktop
||RTF | PDF
|Getting Started With Parallels Desktop
|Parallels Desktop User’s Guide
||PDF | ZIP
|Parallels Transporter Agent User's Guide
|Parallels Mobile User’s Guide
|Parallels Python API Reference
|Parallels C API Reference
|Parallels Desktop Advanced VM Configuration
|Parallels Command Line Reference Guide
|Parallels Virtualization SDK Programmer’s Guide
Parallels Lifecycle Policy
To facilitate your long term planning details, Parallels lifecycle policies are published at http://www.parallels.com/support/policy/.
Registered Your Product?
Parallels Product Support is available after product registration in My Account.
If you have problems with registration you may call us at 1 (888) 811-2489
Register now »
Self Service Resources
Search our database of articles for known solutions.
Get to know Parallels products product features, how to operate them and how to use them.
Connect with fellow Parallels users. For information on specific Parallels products, see the appropriate product forums.
A dedicated community portal designed to provide assistance to users and developers who want to integrate their own software with Parallels products.